•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

No power to fuel pump relay

A1Stack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Hey guys, I have an 87 Bronco II that I purchased in non running condition. No power to fuel pumps. I was able to get them to kick on by jumping the 2 relay connectors, so I can rule out bad pumps and any wiring issues further back. I ran a voltage test on the relay plug, I’m getting the correct power and grounds on all the pins except for the pin that I believe is supposed to power on with the ignition turned on. I had my wife crank the engine while I checked for voltage, nothing. Anybody else had this problem? Could it be the ignition switch, or maybe a bad computer?

telnex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Hey guys, I have an 87 Bronco II that I purchased in non running condition. No power to fuel pumps. I was able to get them to kick on by jumping the 2 relay connectors, so I can rule out bad pumps and any wiring issues further back. I ran a voltage test on the relay plug, I’m getting the correct power and grounds on all the pins except for the pin that I believe is supposed to power on with the ignition turned on. I had my wife crank the engine while I checked for voltage, nothing. Anybody else had this problem? Could it be the ignition switch, or maybe a bad computer?
check your fuel cutoff / inertia switch. mine was bad and I had to bypass it.

A1Stack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
check your fuel cutoff / inertia switch. mine was bad and I had to bypass it.

That was one of the first things I checked, hoping that was it but intertia switch is good. No power before intertia switch. I have some diagnostic ideas, just haven’t had time to get out there. I believe I either have a bad ground going to computer or just a bad computer

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Test the relay first by applying a ground to the fuel pump test port on the ecm diagnostic connection. If the pumps turn on then the fuel system works. If not check for power at the relay. Relay should have two power sources. 1 always hot BK/Y, 2 key on hot R. The ECU supplies the ground LB/O, closing the circuit, triggering the relay sending the always hot thru the relay to the inertia switch DG/Y and pumps.

A1Stack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Test the relay first by applying a ground to the fuel pump test port on the ecm diagnostic connection. If the pumps turn on then the fuel system works. If not check for power at the relay. Relay should have two power sources. 1 always hot BK/Y, 2 key on hot R. The ECU supplies the ground LB/O, closing the circuit, triggering the relay sending the always hot thru the relay to the inertia switch DG/Y and pumps.
I’m going to get a new battery next weekend, and will try this and report back! Thank you 🙏